Dried beans take forever! So while we made the carnitas we also began soaking the beans in water.
Cover them in water in a bowl for 12 hours. We did ours for 8ish hours. They still came out good.
Boil water with a little salt. Add beans and boil for 20 minutes? (It said for 5 but we gambled here on what to do- We wanted to eat before midnight) Simmer the beans for 40 minutes. Check if soft. Drain when soft.
CUBAN BEANS YOU’LL NEED:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or use cumin
- 3 16-oz cans black beans, rinsed, drained OR use dried beans- i used pinto and kidney mixed
- 3/4 cup canned vegetable broth or beer or water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
In pan, heat oil. Add onion/ bell pepper/ garlic/ oregano or cumin. Cook until soft. add 1 cup of beans and mash them with a fork. add rest of the beans, broth or beer, vinegar. simmer until thickens about 15 minutes. add sugar and s&p to taste.