- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 large ribs celery, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups water or low-sodium broth
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice from 1/2 large lemon
- Olive oil, yogurt, or other topping, to serve
In a medium (2- to 3-quart) saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrot, celery, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stir to combine, then cover and let the vegetables sweat until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add spices and tomato paste and cook for a minute or so.
Add the lentils, water or broth. Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer, covered, until the lentils begin to fall apart, about 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon juice, and add salt to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.